Archive for the ‘ITNSunCoast’ Category
ITNSarasota and Lighthouse of Manasota are pleased to announce that the Jerome & Mildred Paddock Foundation has funded the Independent Travel for the Visually Impaired Program, a strategic partnership between the two organizations.
The funding allows ITNSarasota to provide door-to-door transportation to Lighthouse clients who attend classes critical to their future success. This collaboration is a new venture that will begin this year and continue as long as needed.
One of the major goals of our organization is to keep fees manageable for the average member rider. We accomplish this by having the fee per ride cover approximately 30 percent of the cost and providing financial assistance to cover the remaining 70 percent. We also fund scholarships for low-income member riders.
ITNSarasota recently received a $50,000 organizational grant from the Community Foundation of Sarasota County so it can continue to provide transportation for seniors and adults with visual impairment.
“Since our launch in 2008, the Community Foundation has supported and encouraged the mission of ITNSarasota, and we are grateful for their continued support,” Chris Pinckney ITNSarasota board chairman, said in a prepared statement.
With more than three million residents over the age of 65, Florida’s population has the highest proportion of senior citizens of any state in the US. One challenge facing many of Florida’s seniors is how to get out and about once they can no longer drive. Private non-profit companies, public transit and volunteers are all trying to meet a growing need.
SARASOTA, Fla. – January 2012
ITNSarasota, the Independent Transportation Network of Sarasota County, a nonprofit that provides dignified affordable transportation for seniors over 60 and for visually impaired adults, is pleased to announce its 2012 Board of Directors:
by Jim Brown, Sarasota Herald-Tribune, http://www.heraldtribune.com/
ITNSarasota (the Independent Transportation Network) is a mostly volunteer nonprofit organization that provides rides to seniors and any adults with vision impairment.
Volunteer drivers take people no longer able to drive to the grocery store, doctor’s office, movie, play, concert, beauty or barber shop or just to meet friends for lunch 24/7 every day of the year. The drivers not only give their services but provide their own cars.
Riders are charged an annual fee, plus so much per mile, based on length of the trip, but provision is made for low-income riders.
The fee only covers about 30 percent of the cost, with the balance made up by contributions. ITN started in January 2010, with six rides. Last month it provided almost 400.
See where am I heading?
Put the two together. Set up your fund — perhaps asking a family member or some outfit like the Community Foundation of Sarasota County to handle it.
From the fund pay reasonable ITN fees — fees that more truly reflect actual costs but still would be nowhere near what you would have to pay on the open market.
And — the hidden gold mine — tap the reservoir of younger retirees, of whom there are thousands here, who are looking for areas to serve.
Speaking of volunteers, ITN is staging a “Walk for Rides” fundraiser next March 3 at Phillippi Estate Park and could sure use walkers and other volunteers to help stage the event.
Plus, the more volunteer drivers they get, the more rides they can offer.
Call Donna Dunio, executive director, at 364-7530 if you are interested.
There is, incidentally, one major side benefit area residents of all ages would gain from success of these programs. A lot of people who really should not be driving would find a safe answer to preserving the mobility they do not want to give up.
Edith Hall and her friend Ivy Large have shared a lot of life over the past two decades, after Hall’s son married Large’s daughter and Large moved across the street from Hall.
Lately, they have started sharing rides, too — to the doctor, to the bank, for shopping and lunches.
Without a car, but with plenty of zest for independence, they have stayed mobile through a ride service called ITNSarasota, a volunteer-based nonprofit modeled on an organization started in Maine.