RSS Hello there! If you are new here, you might want to
subscribe to the RSS feed for updates on this topic.

Encore Motorcars Hosting Volunteer Celebration & Recruitment Drive for ITNSarasota May 19th from 5 to 7 p.m.

May 6, 2011

ITNSarasota, the Independent Transportation Network, a nonprofit organization providing dignified, affordable, individual transportation for seniors over 60 and visually impaired adults is having a Volunteer Recruitment Celebration at Encore Motorcars on Thursday, May 19th, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and the public is invited! There will be delicious complimentary refreshments, balloons, exotic cars to check out and an opportunity to visit with some ITN volunteers about why they find it so rewarding to enable our area seniors and visually impaired adults live life to the fullest!

“This celebration sponsored by Encore Motorcars can have a huge impact on our mission by helping us to get the word out regarding our need for volunteers,” says Donna Dunio, Executive Director of ITNSarasota. “ITN is more than a ‘good cause,’ it’s a necessary and innovative answer to enabling our seniors to regain some of the freedom they lost when they “gave-up” their car keys! Our volunteer drivers make this happen, but when we thank them, they tell us it’s the most rewarding type of volunteering they’ve ever done!”

ITN does substantially more than providing affordable rides for those who no longer drive. It’s helping to solve a critical public need while making our roads safer and our communities healthier. Seniors now have an alternative to driving that preserves their freedom to buy their own groceries, shop downtown or at the malls, enjoy the arts, get to their medical appointments on time, to go wherever they want to go 24/7.

“We are deeply appreciative to our new partners at Encore Motorcars for sponsoring this Volunteer Recruitment Celebration and for all they’re doing to help us promote and fulfill our mission,” board chair, Art Mahoney said. “Volunteer drivers are our life-blood, they make the mission happen — and volunteer driving is so much fun – I know because I’m a volunteer driver!”

ITNSarasota is one of 18 affiliates in communities nationwide that replicates the successful nonprofit membership organization begun in Portland, Maine nearly 20 years ago by Katherine Freund. Freund, now founder and president of ITNAmerica, is a national leader in senior transportation issues. ITNSarasota is one of the fastest growing non-profits in Sarasota County and it needs volunteer driver numbers to catch-up with the needs of member riders. The fees per ride covers about 30% of the cost of providing the ride and the remaining 70% is covered through fundraising efforts making Volunteer support essential for ITN to fulfill its nonprofit mission.

For more information on how YOU can become a Volunteer Driver for ITNSarasota, please call (941) 364-7530 or visit www.ITNSarasota.org.